Based in Utrecht, Netherlands
22 October, 2010
Vlambeer's Super Crate Box is coming to bring back the glory of the golden arcade age, when all that really mattered was getting on that high score list. Grab your baseball cap and loosen your pants, it's time to fight endless hordes of enemies and collect every weapon crate you can. Prepare for an arcade delight with tight controls, refreshing game mechanics, cracking retro art and a terribly hip chiptune soundtrack.
Super Crate Box was originally conceived as a prototype by Jan Willem, who called it Crates From Hell. Rami played an early prototype and agreed to cooperate on the project, which in turn would lead to the duo dropping out of university and eventually to Vlambeers' founding in September 2010. When the release of Super Crate Box was an overwhelming success, requests for an iOS version started were abundant. Although originally reluctant, Vlambeer was convinced by Canadian studio Halfbot that fluid virtual controls were indeed possible. The iOS version of Super Crate Box was released on January 5th, 2012.
- High-paced, simple, relentless arcade action.
- Original mechanic forcing the player to make quick decisions, keep moving and adapt infinitely.
- Hard as hell.
- Crisp art by pixel-artists Paul 'Pietepiet' Veer & Roy Nathan de Groot.
- Featuring a terribly hip chiptune soundtrack by Eirik 'Phlogiston' Suhrke.
Non-Official: Super Office Land YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "IGF Finalist - Excellence in Design." Independent Games Festival 2011
- "IGF Honorable Mention - Seamus McNally Grand Prize." Independent Games Festival 2011
- "EDGE Best Free Friday Game 2010." EDGE, 2010
- "Gamasutra #5 Indie Games 2010." Gamasutra, 2010
- "Bytejacker Free Indie of the Year" Bytejacker, 2010
- "One of the most brilliantly balanced games in years. With a thoughtful and tactile weapon set, a handful of excellent enemies - who only get more dangerous if you try to ignore them - and a scoring system that ensures everything keeps moving, this is elegant, explosive, and truly unmissable."
- Chris Donlan, EDGE Online
- "Its high-octane play married with its no-frills, arcade game design keeps me collecting crates and blasting enemies into delightful little pieces of monster."
- Brad Nicholson, TouchArcade
- "This is one of those triumphs of minimalist design and limited complexity that gets its hooks in you early and never lets go."
- Ben Kuchera, Ars Technica
- "You know condensed milk? Super Crate Box is like that, only with fun instead of milk."
- Quintin Smith, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "I would estimate that it's slightly less addictive than crack cocaine."
- Conrad Zimmerman, Destructoid
Available for free from http:.
Vlambeer is a Dutch independent game studio made up of Rami Ismail and Jan Willem Nijman, bringing back arcade games since 1774.
More information on Vlambeer, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Super Crate Box Credits
Business & Development, Vlambeer
Jan Willem Nijman
Game Designer, Vlambeer
Paul 'Pietepiet' Veer
Roy Nathan de Groot
Eirik 'Phlogiston' Suhrke
Melvin Samuel (iOS)
Derek Laufman (iOS)